How to Do Regression Testing the Right Way
Regression testing should be performed after introducing new code changes to ensure they have not impacted the existing functionality of your system. This kind of testing can be done using manual and automated techniques. Regression testing, however, can be extremely challenging and error-prone when carried out with manual testing alone.
In this blog, we’ll discuss how to do regression testing the right way and how automated testing with Copado Robotic Testing can simplify regression testing by improving scalability, streamlining test creation, producing more readable test scripts, and making the maintenance of scripts easier.
How to Do Regression Testing
Regression testing becomes necessary after introducing new code changes and modifications because these changes can affect the existing functionality of your system. Regression testing can be performed in several ways.
To help you get started, we’ve listed the basic steps of how to do regression testing below:
- Prepare test selection: During this phase, you should choose the test cases that need to be retested.
- Estimate testing time: After evaluating your test cases and test complexity, you must estimate the time it will take to run your test cases.
- Choose test cases for automation: Depending on the number of test cases and estimated testing time, your testing team should decide between manual and automated testing. Determine what test cases are best suited for automation, dividing test cases into manual and automated categories.
- Prioritize test cases: During this phase, it will be essential to sort test cases according to their priority, from high, medium, to low.
- Execute test cases: Execute your test cases based on priority level to determine functionality.
Regression Testing Techniques
Regression testing can be performed using the following techniques listed below:
1. Re-test All
With this approach, you will execute all of your existing test cases to retest the entire software suite. “Re-test All” will require a considerable amount of time and resources.
2. Select Test Cases
This method allows you to run a selected test case suite instead of the entire test case suite. Test cases will be divided into reusable and obsolete test cases by testers. Future regression testing cycles may use reusable test cases, while you will not reuse obsolete cases in future regression cycles.
3. Prioritize Test Cases
The test cases should be prioritized and carried out using the method that assigns them by high, medium, and low priority levels. All high-priority, business-critical test cases will be executed first.
Automated Regression Testing
Regression testing can be complex and time-consuming when performed with traditional testing methods alone. Because you can't run as many tests simultaneously with manual testing, it severely restricts your ability to scale testing. Additionally, it can increase the likelihood of human error.
When managing hundreds of test cases, all repetitive test cases should be automated to reduce testing time and expand test coverage. As a general rule, regression tests should be assigned to automation whenever possible.
When using Copado Robotic Testing, automated regression testing allows for the rapid addition of more test cases to regression packs, and these automated regression packs can be run overnight or in parallel with manual tests.
Copado Robotic Testing for Regression Testing
Your testing teams can use Copado Robotic Testing to support the regression testing needed to find and fix defects before they make their way into production. Our automated testing solution will simplify regression testing, enabling your testing teams to increase test coverage, finish testing more quickly, and free up your human resources. That way, you can concentrate on tasks that require human oversight, like exploratory testing.
A few advantages of using Copado Robotic Testing for regression testing include:
- Improved scalability: A hyper-scalable test automation infrastructure with functionality to schedule test runs, helping you test 10x faster with 34x more coverage!
- Streamline test creation: A simple but powerful syntax for creating test automation scripts for multiple platforms.
- Produce more readable scripts: Write test cases with high readability, usability, maintainability, and robustness using QWords.
- Less Maintenance: Self-healing AI eliminates broken tests and the need for manual maintenance allowing small teams to focus back on innovation.
Let Copado Be Your Regression Testing Solution!
Regression testing is frequently postponed or underestimated in terms of the time and resources required to finish it. In worst cases, testing teams might altogether forgo regression testing. This scenario is regrettable because regression testing enables developers to guarantee that their entire system continues to function after code changes when performed correctly and with supported automation.
Copado Robotic Testing can help solve your testing requirements with unmatched speed and quality. Our low-code approach combined with pro-code extensibility enables users to easily design and run automated tests with little to no coding experience and quickly create and execute end-to-end regression tests.